Resources for Working Moms #3 (#BMHW20)
Navigating COVID-19 for Nonprofit Leaders, Business Owners, and the Self-employed
The novel coronavirus pandemic currently sweeping our state’s health system and economy has caused more unemployment than any other time in recent history. Black women in Louisiana are disproportionately represented in public-facing jobs and earn 47 cents for every dollar paid to white, non-Hispanic men— the steepest income inequality in the nation. So where are the most up-to-date resources for Black birthing people? Below are helpful links and contacts to figure out the next few months, as we all stay safe and weather the economic storm.
Responsible for others as a small business owner or nonprofit leader?
Resources are being made available by the federal government. Congress is working to approve additional relief funds but there is no guarantee. Act quickly, because funds are being depleted from high demand across the country.
Support for small business owners
Louisiana Workforce Commission provides:
- Unemployment information for small business owners Small Business Administration (SBA)
- COVID-19 Economic Industry Disaster Loan
- Paycheck Protection Program
- Express Bridge Loans
- SBA Debt Relief
Support for nonprofit leaders & self-employed
- Loans Available for Nonprofits in the CARES Act
- “How Nonprofits Can Utilize the New Federal Laws Dealing with COVID-19” from Nonprofit Quarterly
- “What the Families First Coronavirus Response Act Means to Nonprofits” from the National Council of Nonprofits
- Louisiana community foundations offer resources for nonprofits from the Community Foundation Public Awareness Initiative
- New Orleans Business Alliance created a grant for full-time gig workers
We want to hear from you. Is there information you need that has been difficult to find? What services have been unavailable that are important to you? How can the
city of New Orleans, and the state support your family and your health during this pandemic?
Contact Kiley Mayfield, Birth Equity Policy Analyst, at firstname.lastname@example.org